You know those moments (drug-induced or not) when words start to sound ridiculous? Words like "cantaloupe" (you'll score points with me if you get the movie reference here) or "shoes" sound so odd and you wonder how language develops and spreads. We're foreign to our native tongues at birth, yet we learn to master it, and some even spend money to say they've earned advanced degrees in it.
This is how I'm feeling about blogs.
Never mind the obvious when it comes to the word itself...the sound of it makes it almost embarrasing to say aloud. Just the whole...thing of it! The weird ettiquette, the methods to monitor traffic, all the STUFF that is available to hang on them-
It just seems strange and foreign to me right now.
Let's examine mine for a moment. I don't really have a cohesive theme. I've tried to come up with one, but they all seem lame to me. The content is boring - I don't really say anything. I have one follower and he already lives with me. So few actually read my blog, that I recognize traffic by ISP - seriously. When someone new stops by, I'm like that old lady across the street that watches out her window with binoculars to see what everyone is up to because I have no visitors and nothing better to do (oh wait, maybe that's Finding Forrester). The point is, I have no point to this blog.
Do I just call it a day? Do I continue? I realize that no one else is really getting anything out of it, but am I? If there's some hidden catharsis in writing it, I don't see it. I think the best, most entertaining blogs out there are often written by people who almost lead double lives. Some may be so dissatisfied with their lives that writing about how perfect their lives and children are make them feel...better. For others, they may have daily lives that compel them to put up a good front - go to church, smile ALL. THE. TIME., etc. Blogs may give them a chance to be themselves and spew all those things they wanted to say all day but felt as though they couldn't.
For me, it's neither. I don't claim to be completely transparent. I just don't think I have anything to say.
Okay, this sounds like a lot of self-loathing bullshit. It's not meant to be. This is just me saying something about saying nothing. I'll give you a moment to catch your breath from having your mind blown.
xoxo
Monday, June 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
My blog... a journal of sorts. A place to share about my family and most importantly- a place for me to look back on "those many moments" that made me who I am at this very moment.
I miss you buddy. I love your writing and for that reason alone- you should keep your blog.
Post a Comment