1.) After spending some time doing a clinical rotation for my master's program at a Level 1 Trauma Center, I'm beginning to see that the line between screwing up and making a life-changing mistake can often be very thin and very blurry. I spoke with a young mother recovering in the hospital after injuries she sustained. Her injuries were the result of a terrible mistake she made. Her body will recover. What she now faces is knowing that very mistake also cost the life of her only child. What a strange sensation to feel anger, sadness, such deep compassion, and total astonishment, all at once, toward a person whom you've known for 30 seconds.
2.) The picture above is one of my favorite places burning to the ground. I stood frozen (literally, it was about 12 degrees) across the street wondering how many lives are being impacted as a I watched the center of a whole town turn into ash, ice, and salt. This picture shows the place I get my haircut, buy my soy candles, eat lunch, and buy cracked corn for the geese and ducks vanish. How devastating for so many.
3.) Julian acted...funny. He was sort of lethargic and way, way off. We took him to the Animal ER. 48 hours and $1500 later, we brought him home under the assumption that he had salmonella. WTF!? We got a call later saying that the cultures were inconclusive. We have no idea what was wrong. He's home. He's had a MUCH needed bath (and smells so very pretty now), and seems to be feeling better. We are a little cautious with our sighs of relief, however, as he is still very docile. He's not lethargic, but is still sleeping quite a bit and seems to have less of an appetite. I surprised myself on Tuesday night when I responded to the "how old is he" question with "13". Really? How is he 13? How am I almost thirty-fffffff.............thirty?
On to much, MUCH happier news!!!!
Maria has come up with a theory she calls "The Cycle of Ava". It basically shows Ava's pattern of waking up as a ray of sunshine before anyone else, turning grouchy and whiny about three hours later, eating lunch, falling asleep, and waking up a new woman. The cycle then repeats with dinner and bedtime. Maria was sharing her theory with Mike on their way from the car to the front door, and the conversation went like this:
Maria: Mike, I figured it out. Here's The Cycle of Ava. First she's all crazy and happy, then she gets grouchy, then -
[Ava interrupts]
Ava: Then I do the ROBOT [and begins doing "The Robot" dance in the front yard]
I know the story probably loses something in print, but my children are seriously HILARIOUS (ooh, OXYMORON!)
Finally, I am so excited that Slumdog Millionaire won three Golden Globes. I love this movie. It has certainly made me finally admit that I have the biggest crush on India. We are so going, Buddy. Mission trip? Maybe. I think I'd also like to sleep in pretty places and wear pretty clothes. Just sayin....
xoxo





2 comments:
Hi Amy
PLEASE bring some controversy to my blog!!!!
Warning though.... I"m not NEAR as fun or interesting as my bud Sarah though....
Send me your email, k?
reeka @ wideopenwest.com
Hugs,
Ericka
Yeah! so glad to hook up the buddy and the ericka/reeka. :)
Buddy- we apparently have lots of catching up to do because I only heard about one of these stories!!
Love the new blog header and the new look. I still want to make you something special though.
Hugs
Post a Comment